Last Updated on September 5, 2022 by Md Deloar
When was the last time you washed your TUMI nylon bag? I hope it wasn’t too long ago because if it has been, I recommend giving it a good wash now. Like any other piece of clothing, your TUMI nylon bag needs to be cleaned properly to avoid potential damage and unpleasant smells.
So you came here to know how you can clean and wash your nylon bag safely with proper precautions. Please read this article and pick whichever method is best suited for you.
To start, let’s get everything out there!
For the best outcome, choosing the right detergent and removing everything before beginning is important. When choosing a detergent, there are a few things to keep in mind:
Detergent Types and How to Choose One
Many different types of detergents are available today, which can be confusing when deciding which one to purchase. Here are some tips for picking the right detergent to wash your TUMI nylon bag.
- For delicate items like nylon, it is important to choose a non-toxic detergent. Many detergents today are made with harsh chemicals, which can damage the fabric and cause fading. If you’re unsure if a detergent is safe for your nylon bag, select an all-purpose laundry detergent.
- If you have hard water, choose a detergent that is based on water instead of one that is based on the soap. These kinds of detergents work best in places with hard water because they don’t have harsh chemicals that can leave a film in your machine.
- If you have pets or children who might put things in their mouths, choose an environmentally friendly detergent like biodegradable detergents. These types of detergents slowly break down into harmless parts in the environment, which helps protect our waterways.
Remove everything in the bag
- Make sure everything is out of the backpack before you start. This will make cleaning easier and reduce the chances of damaging any delicate items.
- You’ll want to take care of the areas most likely to get dirty. This includes the straps, the zippers, and the compartments. Make sure to get into these areas and clean them off properly. Use a handheld vacuum to remove as much of it as possible if there are any crumbs or dust in the crevices.
- Make sure that you clean all of the surrounding surfaces. This includes the countertops, floorboards, and any other nearby furniture. Doing this will reduce the amount of dirt and dust in your backpack.
How to Hand-Wash Your TUMI nylon bag?
Most people don’t have a washing machine, so you probably don’t either. If you want a simple way to wash your nylon TUMI bag by hand, follow these steps:
Step 1: Prep for the wash
- Before beginning the wash process, it is important to prep your nylon bag. This includes removing any excess dirt, dust, or other debris that may have accumulated on the surface over time.
- Put some dishwashing soap in a basin of warm water.
- Place the nylon bag in the basin and gently swirl around to ensure that all sides are wet.
- Let it soak for a few hours to soften, depending on how big and dirty it looks, and then rinse it well with cool water.
- then hung up the bag to dry. Use a fan to move air around it while it’s drying.
Step 2: Scrub Your Backpack
- Employ a brush with gentle bristles, and make it a point to clean every nook and cranny of the surface.
- If the backpack is soiled, use a toothbrush to get into harder-to-reach areas.
- On mesh sections, you may try using a sponge instead.
Step 3: Give it a thorough wash
- Drain the dirty water and add 6 inches of clean, cool water to the basin.
- Rinse the bag well and squeeze the water out of it.
- It can soak up water if you fold it into a thick towel.
Step 4: Let the backpack air dry.
- After a good washing, let the backpack dry on a towel by laying it flat and letting the nylon straps hang loose.
- Make sure the zippers are closed, so any mildew doesn’t get in.
- After about an hour, check it again to be sure all water is gone.
- Keep it out of direct sunlight and heat to make it last longer.
- Make sure it’s completely dry before it’s next used.
How to Wash Your TUMI nylon bag in the washing machine?
I’ve got you covered if you want to know how to wash your TUMI nylon bag the right way.
Step 1: Prep for Wash in machine
- You can flip the bag inside out or put it inside a pillowcase or laundry bag so that the straps and zippers don’t get caught in the machine or damage the walls.
- Ensure the fabric is completely dry before placing it in the washer. Wet fabrics will cause excessive wear and tear on your machine!
- Place the bag in a large enough load to fully expand and fill up the machine’s drum or agitator.
Step 2: Wash the Backpack
- Add some detergent and set the water temperature to medium-high. Use gentle agitation for a standard cycle, or use a lower setting if your machine has extra-low water options.
- If it gets clumped up during the spin cycle, stop the machine and spread it out again so the machine can wash it well and the machine doesn’t tip over from a small load.
- Allow the bag to cool before removing it from the washer. Hot fabrics can cause damage.
Step 3: Air-Dry Your Backpack
- We recommend you air dry the items instead of putting them in the dryer because the dryer could damage the bag’s padding and tear the seams at the corners.
- When cleaning your backpacking gear, you can take a few simple steps to keep everything looking and smelling great. One of the best ways to clean your backpacking gear is by air-drying it. This method allows dirt, dust, and other pollutants to be eliminated without the use of harsh chemicals. Here are a few tips on how to air-dry your backpack:
- Make sure your backpack is completely dry before storing it away. This means removing all of the water and any other liquids that may have accumulated inside during use.
- If possible, position your backpack on an elevated surface so the sun can help dry it out quickly.
- Use a clothesline or some other type of lightweight cord to suspend your backpack from a high location. This will allow the wind to help speed up the drying process.
- If you can dry it outside, it will dissipate any lingering odors when exposed to the fresh air.
Removing Oil-Based Stains on Nylon TUMI bag
If you have spilled oil or grease on your nylon TUMI bag, you can do a few things to clean it up.
Use a dry cloth
- Blot the fabric as much as possible with a cloth or paper towel, or try using a dry cloth. Do not rub the spot because that will make the stain spread.
Add household ammonia
- If you cannot remove the stain with a cloth or paper towel, try adding ammonia to the affected area. Ammonia is a common cleaner used to get rid of oil and grease. And it doesn’t hurt nylon.
Use a cleaner specifically for nylon bags
- There are specific cleaners that are specifically made to clean nylon bags. Some of these cleaners have enzymes and other ingredients that break down the fabric and get rid of any dirt, dust, or bacteria that has built up.
- You could also use a cleaner with hydrogen peroxide, like Mr. Clean or Comet. Once the cleaner has been applied, you should use blotting paper to absorb any excess liquid, and then you should rinse the area with cold water.
Use Vinegar mixture
- Vinegar is one of the most common and effective methods. To clean a nylon bag with white vinegar, Though nylon is stain resistant, you may be unable to remove all the stain-causing substances. The residue might leave a stain even if you wipe and dab at the soiled area. Mix vinegar, water, lemon juice, and club soda to remove stains.
- Pour the mixture onto the stain, and then blot at the stain with a clean cloth.
- Turn the bag inside out so that the mixture touches all of the fabric, and let it sit for at least 30 minutes.
- Wipe down any areas that seem dirty with a damp cloth.
Using vinegar can damage some fabrics, so be careful using this method. I suggest you try other safe methods and then try this at last.
How do you care for TUMI nylon bags?
TUMI nylon bags are made from a durable, water-resistant fabric and are perfect for everyday use. To care for your TUMI nylon bag, follow these simple tips:
Apply lacquer on the zipper
Some people like to lacquer their zippers to give them a new look. Others believe that lacquer can cause the nylon fabric to deteriorate over time. There is no right or wrong answer. It depends on how you want your nylon bag to look and feel.
If you decide to lacquer your zipper, use a quality lacquer that will not cause the fabric to deteriorate. Some people also spray their zippers with something like silicone spray to protect them. In case they spill something on them.
Always store your bag safely
Always store your TUMI nylon luggage bag safely, as it can be easily damaged if not cared for properly. Follow these simple tips to make sure your bag lasts as long as possible:
- Always store your TUMI nylon luggage in a cool, dark place. Exposure to extreme temperatures can cause the fabric to deteriorate faster.
- Only use a mild detergent when washing your TUMI nylon luggage. Please do not use harsh chemicals or fabric softeners, as they could damage the bag’s finish.
- Once your TUMI nylon luggage has been washed and dried, please protect it from UV rays by using a spray sun guard.
Spray air freshener
If you own a TUMI nylon bag, you may have noticed that it can sometimes develop an unpleasant odor. This odor is most likely due to the sweat and bacteria that accumulate on the fabric over time. To remove this odor, spray a suitable air freshener onto the bag and let it work its magic.
Frequently Asked Question
Can I clean my nylon bags with vinegar and baking soda?
Cleaning your nylon luggage with vinegar and baking soda is possible, but it’s not recommended. Vinegar can damage the fabric of your luggage, while baking soda is abrasive and could cause wear and tear on the zipper or seams. If you choose to clean your luggage with these ingredients, follow the instructions carefully and use a soft cloth rather than a harsh one.
Can you wash Longchamp nylon bags?
No, you cannot wash Longchamp nylon bags in the conventional sense. But you can clean them with a special detergent or washing machine if you soak them first in a biodegradable cleaning solution.
Does nylon shrink in the wash?
Nylon does not shrink in the wash. It can cause wrinkling or pilling of the fabric when wet, which is usually fixed by ironing the fabric.
Can nylon go in the dryer?
Nylon is a synthetic fiber that is not made from natural substances like cotton. This means that nylon may not be dryer-safe, depending on the type of dryer used. Some dryers are designed to heat materials to a high temperature, which can cause the nylon to melt and break.
Following the proper washing instructions for your TUMI nylon bag is essential to keep it looking and performing its best. Should use a gentle cycle with cold water and mild detergent. Make sure to hang it up to dry. This will keep the fabric in good shape and make it easier to care for in the future.